Navratri is one of the famous festivals celebrated by Hindus. The meaning of the word is nine nights. The celebration keeps on in an uninterrupted fashion for 9 long days. Hindu Goddess Durga arrives on earth during the Ashvin month of Hindu calendar. The celebration takes place to welcome and honor the powerful goddess. Within these 9 days of Navratri, Durga Puja is celebrated.
Reasons of Navratri Celebration
There are different explanations of Navratri celebration on Earth. Following are some of the facts:
- It is synonymous to Durga Puja where the goddess Durga fights the batter against the buffalo demon and saves the other god and goddesses.
- Navratri is celebrated on the victory of Rama over the demon Ravana.
- The goddess Durga travel from her in-law’s house to her father’s home. Navratratri is one of the reasons for this celebration.
People celebrate Navratri in a variety of ways. Following are some of the ways:
- Individuals of all age group get up in the morning and take bath. They wear new clothes on each day of Durga Pooja.
- People mostly ladies do fasting due Navratriratri.
- It is regarded that the red colour is one of the favourite colours of Goddess durga. Thus, the individuals who keeps fast must put a red colour cloth along with flowers and other necessary accessories within the thali.
- There is a custom of 9 small girls within the age of 8-9 years during one day of navaratri.
- Dandiya is one of the most famous festivals which is celebrated during one of the days of Navratri.
- It is a ritual to gift 2 small child on the day of Navaratri.
- On the last day of Navratri, Ma durga statue is immersed into water. The goddess durga is said to return to her inlaws house on this day.
- The day of Dusshera is celebrated with the assassination of Demon Ravana. A big status of Ravana is made with crackers. 3 individuals are selected who plays the role of Ram, Lakshman and Sita. They shoot the Ravana made with crackers. As soon as Ravana is set on fire, people enjoy the event with joy. This is nothing but winning of good power over the bad power.
- Durga puja being one of the occasions within the Navaratri festival have a great craze of pandal hopping. Different themes are associated within the city. This is normally very famous in Bengal. Kolkata is the place where this Durga pujo is widely celebrated. People love to see different statues of Goddess Durga.
- Different fares are organized where plays are conducted. People come from far and near places to see this play. It is also known as Ramleela in some places.
The Nine days of Navaratri are celebrated in grand way throughout the nation. Today, people staying outside the nation also enjoy the festival in a grand way. People exchanges gifts on this special day to friends and relatives. Online gifts stores play a vital role here.